Last week the Decology team went on a new year’s interior design inspo tour to visit the world-renowned Maison & Objet in Paris. We bring you our top picks from some of the best exhibits, with a noticeable focus on warmer tones and brighter shades for 2018.
With a 5am start for our Decology day trip, we set out with slightly bleary eyes, but a whole load of excitement and anticipation for what lay on the other end of the Eurostar!
An interior designer’s Mecca
If you don’t know about M&O, it really is an interior designer’s Mecca. An incredible, beautiful and inspiring show that encompasses everything you need to be inspired in interior design, laid out in three distinctly fabulous sections: MAISON – interior decoration; OBJET – concept and retail and INFLUENCES – encompasses luxury, design and architecture.
Designed to be a complete interiors experience, the show did not disappoint and after an exhausting day, we were dead on our feet, but minds well and truly flowing with creative juices and design inspiration to help you with all your interior design goals!
There are many new and continued trends for 2018, with metallics becoming the “new neutrals”; the use of bolder, brighter colours and jewel tones. Here are some of our own favourites from the show.
Our top picks & interior design trends for 2018
1. Warmer colours & earthy neutrals – neutrals are warming up from standard white, creams and beiges to richer, earthy tones.
2. Jewel tones – a continuing trend – we love all the amazing bright colours in both furniture and accessories. Give your home a bit of sparkle!
3. Velvet – continuing trend in upholstery. With texture playing a big part in home decor this year, velvet is back in a big way… in neutrals, bolds or jewels. It’s great for furniture, upholstery and throws to add luxury and warmth.
4. Nature motifs – florals & animal references. We’re loving all the flora and fauna in this year’s interior furniture, accessories and soft furnishing. Floral wallpaper and upholstery is big, as are ornaments and lamps with plant or animal references.
5. Geometric patterns – a continued trend. Geometric designs have been creeping back in for a while and combined with metallics, create interesting focal points and extra depth with lines, shapes and interesting angles.
6. Art Deco references. We love the Art Deco era and it’s back in a big way this year with Art Deco style furniture, lighting and mirrors providing an extra glamour.
7. Metallics. This is a continuing trend but rather than just metallic accents, they are now becoming the new neutrals and in bronzes, copper and gold, their tones and reflective surfaces can add some real warmth and depth to you home.
8. Asian design references. We love all the beautiful Asian motifs and designs in fabrics, wallpaper, lighting and accessories that give your space interest and the exotic style of far flung lands and ancient cultures.